Our mental health is a vital aspect of our overall well-being, yet not always easy to prioritize each day.
Life gets busy, stress piles up, and before we know it, unpleasant feelings like sadness or worry have taken hold.
This is why mental health apps are becoming increasingly popular – they put helpful techniques in our pockets, accessible whenever needed.
One such app is called “What’s Up”, created by mental health professionals, to bring the benefits of the best therapeutic approaches to our smartphones.
Let’s take a closer look at What’s Up and how it aims to gently lift our mood and ease tension in just a few minutes each day.
With a remarkable 500,000+ downloads on the Google Play Store, the What’s Up mental health app takes a serious approach to well-being.
The app uses two powerful therapeutic techniques: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and Acceptance Commitment Therapy (ACT).
In simple terms, CBT acts as a guide to identify and change negative thought patterns, while ACT encourages embracing emotions and aligning actions with personal values.
What’s Up provides users with tools to identify and challenge negative thoughts, reframe unhelpful beliefs, and develop more balanced and realistic ways of thinking.
Additionally, the app includes a range of games and activities designed to help users track their feelings, thoughts, and habits.
The app also offers a variety of breathing and grounding techniques for relaxation, helping users calm their minds and bodies in times of stress or anxiety.
What’s Up is more than just a download; it’s a space dedicated to helping you understand and process your emotions on a deeper level.
It’s your digital confidante, providing a secure, confidential, and non-judgmental environment to explore your mental well-being.
Some of its technical details are:
- Passcode lock with options for numeric or custom passwords
- Automatic data backups across devices linked to the same account
- Syncing of progress, customizations, and chat history between devices
- Over 20 theme color options allow customizing the visual experience
- Themes can be selected via the settings menu
Cost and in-app purchases:
- All the features of the app are available for free
- In-app donations ranging from $1.99 – 4.99 provide an optional way to support ongoing app improvements and accessibility for all.
What’s Up: Elevate Your Well-Being
What’s Up? – a superb free app incorporating top-notch CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy) and ACT (Acceptance Commitment Therapy) techniques to assist you in managing Depression, Anxiety, Anger, Stress, and beyond!
Click below to give the app a try now!
A Step-By-Step Guide on How to Use What’s Up
Here’s a step-by-step guide that will help you navigate What’s Up and show you how to use its various features to improve your mental health.
Step 1: Downloading the App
To get started, go to your app store or play store and search for “What’s Up”. Download and install the app.
Step 2: Introduction and Tutorial
When you first open the app, it will show you a few statistics about mental health and tell you that help is available.
Don’t worry, it’s not a scary or overwhelming introduction, it’s just a friendly reminder that you’re not alone and that there’s help available.
Step 3: Donation Options
The app will then show you a screen that briefly tells you about the donation options.
You can choose to donate to unlock some of the themes, but the rest of the app is completely free.
Step 4: Home Screen
After you finish the tutorial, the app will provide you with four tabs: Help Right Now, Coping Strategies, Information, and Personal.
Step 5: Help Right Now Tab
The Help Right Now tab is the first tab you’ll see. It’s full of exercises and activities to help you deal with overwhelming emotions and feelings in the moment.
You’ll find things like breathing control techniques, grounding techniques, uplifting quotes, and even helpful websites to reach out to in times of crisis.
It’s like having a personal crisis hotline in your pocket!
Step 6: Coping Strategies Tab
The Coping Strategies tab is all about learning new ways to cope with stress, anxiety, and other negative emotions.
It’s designed to be fun and engaging, with metaphors and suggestions to help you identify patterns in your thinking and find new ways to manage worries.
You’ll also find suggestions for little positive steps you can take to make your life better.
Step 7: Information Tab
The Information tab is like a mini-encyclopedia of mental health.
You’ll find educational material on anger, anxiety, depression, self-esteem, and stress, as well as tips on how to cope with these emotions.
It’s a great resource to use when you’re not in crisis, and you want to learn more about mental health.
Step 8: Personal Tab
The Personal tab is where you can keep track of what’s going on in your life. You’ll find a habit tracker, diary, and notes option.
It’s a great way to reflect on your progress and identify patterns in your thoughts and feelings.
Step 9: Donate Icon
On the top left corner of the app, you’ll see an icon that you can click to donate through the app.
It’s a great way to support the developers and help them create more amazing mental health resources.
Step 10: Settings Tab
On the top right corner of the app, you’ll see the settings tab. Here, you can create an account, set your password, change themes and interface, and give feedback to the developers.
Creating an account is not a requirement for using the app, but it’s a great way to keep track of your progress and save your favorite resources.
That’s it! This app is designed to be easy to use, and it’s full of amazing resources to improve your mental health.
So, take a few minutes to explore the app, and see how it can help you.
Features of What’s Up Mental Health App
The What’s Up app has various features for different purposes, including the following:
1. Dealing with Negative Thinking:
- 12 common negative thinking patterns are explained with simple methods to overcome them.
- 10 insightful metaphors to guide you in coping with negative feelings.
- A list of websites to reach out to in times of crisis
2. Calmness and Relaxation:
- Engaging grounding game with over 100 fun questions to anchor you in the present during stressful moments.
- 3 straightforward breathing techniques to promote calm and relaxation.
- Access to a collection of over 70 positive quotes, with the option to add and share your own with the world.
- A unique catastrophe scale to provide perspective during overwhelming moments, helping you navigate challenges with a clearer mindset.
3. Tracking Feelings, Thoughts, and Habits:
- A diary feature to organize your thoughts and feelings, complete with a rating scale for easy self-reflection.
- Positive and negative habit tracker to set goals for cultivating good habits and breaking free from the not-so-great ones.
4. Information Hub – Educational Material:
- In-depth educational material on anger, anxiety, depression, self-esteem improvement, and stress.
- Explore detailed and extremely helpful content at your own pace, providing valuable insights and coping strategies even when you’re not in crisis.
Want to explore more mental health apps?
- SilverCloud Mental Health App [Transforming Lives]
- Shine Mental Health App [Elevate Your Well-being]
- Leading the Way: Blueprint Mental Health App
What Makes What’s Up Better Than Other Apps?
Here are some key features that make What’s Up better than other apps:
1. Comprehensive Range of Tools
What sets What’s Up apart from other mental health apps is its unique approach to mental wellness.
While many apps focus on a single area like tracking or coping skills, What’s Up provides a wide variety of features all in one place. This holistic approach better supports overall well-being.
2. Emphasis on Education
In addition to activities, it takes time to properly explain concepts around mental health.
The in-depth Informational section ensures users truly understand strategies rather than just checking boxes.
All resources are completely free, with no premium ads or purchases required.
The non-clinical style also makes delicate topics feel less intimidating for those new to self-care.
From adjustable interfaces to a personal journal, What’s Up lets users tailor their experience. This fosters a stronger feeling of ownership over one’s mental health journey.
5. Constant Improvement
Feedback is regularly solicited to ensure tools stay relevant and effective.
Developers care about empowering users rather than quick profits, which is a rarity in an oversaturated market.
6. Proven Techniques
Incorporating CBT and ACT, What’s Up ensures users have evidence-based tools at their disposal, making it more than just a digital space but a reliable mental health companion.
7. Positive User Reviews
With a commendable 4.4 out of 5 rating on the app store, What’s Up has earned praise for its effectiveness and user-friendly design.
Real-life success stories and reviews on the App Store and Play Store contribute to its credibility.
What’s Up strives to make whole-person wellness accessible and engaging for all. Its balanced, thoughtful approach is what truly sets it apart from less comprehensive apps.
1. Is What’s Up a mental health app free?
Absolutely. What’s Up is entirely free to use. Any in-app purchases are purely for donations, supporting the app’s development and maintenance.
2. What’s up with mental health app reviews?
What’s Up has garnered very positive feedback from its users, boasting an impressive 4.4 out of 5 rating on the app store.
Users appreciate its effectiveness and user-friendly interface.
3. Can you do CBT on an app?
Yes, you can! What’s Up incorporates Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) techniques into its features, providing users with accessible and effective ways to work on their mental well-being.