Mental health disorders can impose a significant economic burden on individuals, families, and society as a whole.
San Antonio invested around $23 million in the Metropolitan Health District’s Mental Health initiatives in 2022 to curb this.
Despite this massive amount of money, accessing mental health care is still a challenge for many individuals, according to a new report.
However, some of the best mental health hospital in San Antonio strive to provide a safe and controlled environment for individuals experiencing severe mental health crises.
In addition, they provide them with immediate and specialized treatment.
Read on to learn more about the best mental health hospitals in San Antonio that offer individuals access to the necessary resources and facilities for their mental health needs.
Meanwhile, most residents of San Antonio connect with mental health professionals through BetterHelp from the comfort of their homes.
BetterHelp mental health platform provides an accessible way to receive support from various licensed therapists through online sessions.
To register on BetterHelp, visit the BetterHelp website or download the mobile app.
Mental Health Treatments in San Antonio
San Antonio provides a comprehensive array of mental health treatments and facilities catering to the diverse needs of its residents.
The city offers both inpatient and outpatient care, addressing mental health and substance abuse concerns.
Adult psychiatric services, including forensic competency restoration, are available, emphasizing a client-centered approach and incorporating advanced technologies like Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) to manage conditions such as treatment-resistant depression effectively.
In addition, there are some tailored programs for specific demographics, including children, teenagers, and military personnel.
The mental health services cover a spectrum of disorders, encompassing schizophrenia, PTSD in veterans, various traumas, eating disorders like anorexia and bulimia, depression, delusional disorder, psychosis, mood and personality disorders, anxiety disorders, phobias, and bipolar disorder.
Moreover, the city recognizes the importance of addressing dual diagnoses and providing addiction treatment services for concerned individuals.
These diverse and specialized treatments showcase San Antonio’s commitment to fostering mental well-being within its community.
List of the Best Mental Health Hospital in San Antonio
1. San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital
San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital is the Northwest San Antonio Medical Center’s leading psychiatric and substance abuse treatment facility.
With 198 beds, the hospital provides acute care services in a safe and clean environment.
The hospital’s dedicated team of highly trained behavioral health professionals is committed to delivering compassionate, individualized care informed by trauma-informed practices.
The team prioritizes the well-being and relaxation of patients, promoting their overall health and recovery.
The San Antonio Behavioral Healthcare Hospital offers the following services and programs:
1. Comprehensive, evidence-based treatment and therapies for behavioral health and substance abuse:
2. Services extended to adult and adolescent populations, emphasizing the delivery of advanced care:
3. Various treatment modalities, such as medication management, group and individual therapy, family sessions, and specialized mental health treatment programs
4. Treatment programs are available for inpatient care, partial hospitalization, and intensive outpatient care, accessible both in person and virtually.
5. Tailored programs for active-duty military personnel, providing support for sexual trauma, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and dual diagnosis.
6. Recognition of the importance of non-traditional therapies in the healing process.
7. Creative outlets, including art therapy, dance and movement therapy, recreational activities, and music therapy, are offered to enhance patients’ well-being and contribute to overall recovery.
2. Laurel Ridge Treatment Center
Laurel Ridge Treatment Center, established in 1987, is a specialized behavioral health care and addiction treatment facility in North Central San Antonio, Texas.
With a capacity of 330 beds, it dedicates itself to the mission of Saving Lives, Healing Families, and Creating Hope.
Also, its comprehensive facility includes various amenities such as a charter school, gymnasium, recreational facility, playgrounds, swimming pool, ROPES course (Reality-Oriented Physical Experiential Situation), library, and dining area.
Additionally, the center provides a holistic approach to mental health treatments. Further, Laurel Ridge Treatment Center extends a range of services:
1. Adult Services
2. Child and Adolescent Services:
3. Military and Families, serving military personnel and their families
4. Specialized Therapeutic Programs: Integral to every client’s recovery, these programs offer skill-based groups facilitated by the Specialized Therapeutic Services (STS) staff.
5. Electroconvulsive Therapy
3. Southwest General’s Oakview Behavioral Health Services
The Mental Health Services offered at Southwest General’s Oakview Behavioral Health Services, located in Middleburg Heights, aim to support individuals in their journey toward self-awareness, self-acceptance, and personal responsibility.
Besides, there are therapeutic activities available to provide relief from the challenges associated with mental health disorders and chemical addiction.
Its dedicated team utilizes diverse treatment methods to assist patients and their loved ones achieve a greater sense of well-being and overcoming their struggles.
Plus, Southwest General’s Oakview Behavioral Health provides a range of programs and services, including:
1. Assessment Services:
These services serve as the initial step in identifying mental health or substance abuse disorders.
2. Mental Health Services:
- Adult Inpatient Mental Health Unit: A 20-bed unit situated on the Southwest General campus in Middleburg Heights.
- Adult Outpatient Mental Health Programs (aged 18+) and Partial Hospitalization
- Intensive Outpatient:
- Adolescent Outpatient Mental Health Program
- Behavioral Health Services for Older Adults
3. Addiction Services:
These services encompass Substance Abuse Treatment and Recovery Programs, featuring an intensive and accredited outpatient treatment program in Cleveland.
4. Innova Recovery Center
Innova Recovery Center is one of the best hospitals in San Antonio for individuals seeking specialized trauma treatment and recovery.
Recognizing the profound impact of trauma on one’s thoughts, emotions, and behaviors, this center takes a holistic approach to healing.
Additionally, the center understands that one can only achieve true fulfillment by effectively addressing the aftermath of trauma.
Therefore, their dedicated team focuses on developing essential coping skills and delves deep into the core beliefs that no longer serve clients in their journey forward.
Innova Recovery Center also guides individuals toward inner peace and a lasting sense of wholeness by fostering a safe and nurturing environment.
Through their tailored programs, they empower clients to navigate the complexities of trauma, enabling them to embrace life fully and embark on a path of resilience and growth.
Based on the provided information, Innova Recovery Center offers the following services:
For Women, there are
1. Individual Therapy Sessions – one-on-one therapeutic discussions with experienced professionals.
2. Women’s Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) – structured and supportive group setting for women to explore their recovery journey alongside others.
3. Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) – a higher level of care for women requiring comprehensive and focused support.
4. Day Treatment – another option for those needing a higher level of care is providing comprehensive support.
5. Residential Treatment Program – nurturing a therapeutic environment for women to immerse themselves in recovery.
6. Lehua House – specialized space within the residential services for women to find healing and build a foundation for lasting recovery.
For Teens, there are
1. Individual Therapy Sessions – provision of confidential avenues for teens to explore their thoughts and emotions with a dedicated therapist.
2. Teen Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) – structured and age-appropriate group setting for adolescents to connect with peers facing similar challenges.
3. Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) – more intensive support for teens, providing a stepping stone towards comprehensive recovery.
4. Day Treatment – another option for teens requiring more intensive support on their recovery journey.
5. Residential Treatment Program – a therapeutic and supportive environment for teens to navigate the complexities of their recovery journey.
For Men, there are
1. Individual Therapy Sessions – personalized approach to address men’s unique experiences and challenges in the recovery process.
2. Men’s Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP) – supportive group setting.
3. Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) – comprehensive care for those requiring more intensive support.
4. Day Treatment Options – comprehensive care for those requiring more intensive support.
5. Residential Treatment Program – empowering men to achieve lasting positive change.
5. Bluebonnet Trails Community Services
Bluebonnet Trails Community Services offers comprehensive mental health treatment with a focus on dual diagnosis for individuals facing co-occurring serious mental health illness.
The organization operates in various service settings, including outpatient treatment, partial day treatment, and telehealth, ensuring flexibility and accessibility for individuals seeking care.
As an outpatient mental health facility, this center employs diverse treatment approaches such as
- Behavior modification
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Dialectical behavior therapy
- Integrated dual diagnosis disorder treatment
- Individual psychotherapy
- Psychotropic medication
Besides, this center delivers personalized and effective mental health care.
It also strives to support individuals in their journey toward improved mental well-being and recovery.
Plus, the center provides services such as:
- Crisis and Substance Use Services
- Mental Health Services
- Early Childhood Intervention (ECI) Services
- Peer Support and Employment Services
- Intellectual Developmental Disabilities (IDD)
- Veteran and Justice-Involved Services
- MultiSystemic Therapy (MST)
- Parents as Teachers Program
- YES (Youth Empowerment Services) Waiver
6. Nix Medical Center Heritage Center
Nix Medical Center Heritage Center is a mental health facility that offers comprehensive care and support for its patients.
The center employs skilled professionals who prioritize compassionate and evidence-based care for adults, Seniors (65 or older), and young adults.
The center also incorporates cutting-edge therapeutic approaches while respecting the rich heritage of its surroundings.
As a vital resource in the realm of mental health, Nix Medical Center Heritage Center offers these mental health services:
- Hospital inpatient treatment
- Ancillary Services
- Suicide prevention services
- Tobacco and Screening Services
- Emergency Mental Health Services
- Mental severe health illness treatment
- Serious emotional disturbance and substance use disorders
7. The Center for Health Care Services
Center for Health Care Services prides itself on its dedicated and compassionate team that assists individuals who need support.
One notable goal of this center is that it acknowledges the diverse healthcare needs of individuals and recognizes that each person requires distinct treatment methods.
It also prides itself in a cohesive team comprising psychiatric providers, primary-care physicians, caseworkers, and substance-abuse counselors who collaborate seamlessly.
Together, they orchestrate comprehensive care tailored to the consumer’s needs at any given moment, understanding that these needs evolve.
In this collaborative effort, the team strives to break down barriers and provide holistic support.
As a result, individuals receive the personalized care they require to overcome obstacles and achieve optimal well-being.
Primary Care Clinic Offers the Following Services:
- Routine Checkups
- Health Risk Assessments
- Screening Tests
- General Health Care Maintenance
- Well Women Exams
- Behavioral Health Consultations
Want to know about mental health hospitals, check these out:
- 9 Best Mental Health Hospitals in Kansas City
- 10 Best Mental Health Hospitals in Jacksonville Florida
- 10 Best Mental Health Hospitals in Illinois [The Reviews]
Mental Health Professionals Available
San Antonio boasts a comprehensive range of mental health professionals who provide invaluable support and care within its mental health hospitals.
These professionals include psychiatrists, psychologists, psychiatric nurses, social workers, and more.
Here are the list of renowned mental health professionals in San Antonio:
1. Judith Stanton, LPC
Judith Stanton, LPC is a licensed professional counselor with the Texas practicing license TX LPC 13317.
She is good at community-based counseling with clients experiencing emotional disturbances and trauma from various sources, and more.
She also has experience working with chemically dependent clients, both outpatient and in clinical and correctional facilities.
2. Carolyn “Renae” Traywick, LCPC, LPC,
Carolyn “Renae” Traywick, LCPC, LPC, is a licensed professional counselor with the Nevada practicing license NV LCPC CP5568-R and Texas’ TX LPC 63297.
She has experience helping teenagers and adults with mental health conditions.
Additionally, she is good at working with students and teenagers who have behavior problems.
3. Nicole Harder, LPC
Nicole Harder, LPC is a licensed professional counselor with the Texas practicing license TX LPC 62854.
She is an expert in helping clients with mental health concerns. Her goal is to treat everyone with respect, sensitivity, and compassion.
In addition, she uses Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) as one of her clinical approaches.
4. Mark Wallman, LPC
Mark Wallman, LPC is a licensed professional counselor with the practicing license TX LPC 69293.
He is an expert in helping clients who are going through mental health conditions. His style of dealing with patients is through an open and safe environment.
5. Jean Smith, LPC, LMFT
Jean Smith, LPC, LMFT, is a licensed professional counselor with Texas practicing license TX LPC 10158 and TX LMFT 4405.
Besides, he is a faith-based counselor. Smith is an expert in helping clients with mental health issues.
He believes in treating everyone with respect, sensitivity, and compassion.
In addition to the professionals mentioned in this article, other licensed professional counselors also cater to various needs.
To discover them, you can explore local facilities, counseling centers, and mental health clinics in the area.
Moreover, online platforms such as BetterHelp offer a convenient avenue to connect with qualified counselors.
All it takes is to register and start a session with any of the BetterHelp licensed professionals online.
What are the Mental Health Statistics in San Antonio?
San Antonio is the fourth worst city in the U.S., according to a study in 2021.
In addition, another study confirmed that about 15% of people diagnosed with bipolar disorder took their lives through suicide.
Most of the affected people are LGBTQ+ and gender-diverse populations with a higher rate of suicidal thoughts.
What Mental Illness Should be hospitalized?
Hospitalization may be necessary if there is a risk of suicide or harm to oneself or others.
This is especially true if the individual is experiencing suicidal thoughts, has a sudden change in mental status, or is exhibiting violent behavior.
What is the Best Type of Mental Health Therapy?
Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is the most preferred because it assists individuals with mental illness.
This therapeutic approach empowers individuals to address and revise inaccurate thoughts and beliefs.